This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tanmoy Ray 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jose

Dear Tanmoy,

Greetings from Spain! These are my questions:

What specific skills should you develop to maximize your career capital in biotech/genomics? And do you necessarily need to attend a university, or can you develop them on your own, with MOOCs, etc.?

If you prefer to work in startups, and you choose to go to a university, are there any quick practical “learning-by-doing” degree/programs in European Universities?

I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Jose

Tanmoy Ray
    Keymaster

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your query.

Skills you need: Linear Algebra & Statistics, Programming (Python, R, Matlab with Java, C/C++, Perl, bash, shell), and a little bit of exposure to molecular biology.

A Bachelor degree would be pretty desirable. In the Genomics space, the majority of skills can be acquired through MOOCs. But, more often than not, employers (and even startups) prefer a Bachelor degree holder.

If you are primarily inclined towards a job (and not a research career), try to attend a University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule) rather than a Research-based University.

Hope this helps.

Tanmoy

Jose

Hi Tanmoy,

Wow, that was a fantastic reply, I really appreciate it.

From there, two things come to mind:

1- Then I guess, within biotech, the sub-area that will give you more career capital is, generally speaking, bioinformatics, correct?

2- If what you really want is to become a serial entrepreneur, would you go to a degree in biotech, or computer science? In other words, is the biotech area ripe enough for skilled entrepreneurs to start companies from nothing?

Thank you again!

Jose

Tanmoy Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks, Jose.

Bioinformatics is certainly a great sub-domain within the biotechnology field. More importantly, the applications of Big Data Analytics (in Healthcare & Medicine) will take the biotech space to a whole new level within the next 7 – 10 years.

If you are not too keen on the bench/lab work, definitely consider Genomics/Bioinformatics.

Honestly speaking, if you want to be a serial entrepreneur, Computer Science will give you more leverage. In that case, you can take elective courses on Biology or MOOC courses if you want to have your ventures in the biotech space.

Alternatively, go for a degree in Bioinformatics/Biotech/Genomics and take electives/MOOCs on Data Science, Programming & Analytics

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tanmoy

Jose

Thank you so very much Tanmoy! 🙂

Jose

Tanmoy Ray
    Keymaster

You’re welcome, Jose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.